Saturday, September 2, 2017

Random thoughts about middle school

It's been way too long since I've written here in this space. And--as I started to share yet another social media post--it occurred to me that I want to preserve these random thoughts about middle school in more than a fleeting way--I want to save them for our eldest to reflect on someday. I want Madi to always know just how amazing she is to me.
 
The highlight of her classes, from my view, is that she's taking band for the first time. I think this is an unexpected highlight for her, too. The testing and instrument fitting process took place last week and Madi was granted her first choice--the oboe. She was the only one chosen for this instrument in her class of twenty-some kids, and the teacher made it clear that it's a bit more complex than some of the other instrument choices. That didn't scare Madi, naturally, and she likes the fact that much of her practice will be solo. Thank goodness the Lord shielded Jimmy and me from the rental costs before the interview process, just saying, but I can hardly wait to hear the first sounds from her lips through that instrument. I know it will be one of the sweetest tunes I've ever heard.
 
I'm so proud of all the new "firsts" for our first born--she's riding the school bus home most days because the afternoon pick up is far too chaotic and boring for three over-tired little ones. She's already taken four tests in one day (makes me queasy thinking about it, yet she takes it all in stride). Heck, last night she was showing my mother a Powerpoint presentation she'd made in school, and I completely disregarded it thinking she'd pulled up the Apple website!

My favorite favorite thing about this year, by far, has turned out to be our morning drive. I thought it would be. I know many opt (many out of necessity) to utilize transportation services (bus), but honestly? I cannot say enough about how special that much-needed quality time is for the two of us each morning. We're fresh and unscattered, and we're ALONE. It's a recipe for the best of conversation, without interruption or distraction since I drop the little ones at school an hour earlier. It's kind of a holy mother-daughter space--in the form of a morning commute, and I'll take it. If there's one thing I'm acutely aware of (and have been warned of), it's that middle school has a way of churning up all kinds of hard times. And I love, love, love that we'll have our own personal block of time carved out to chit chat about anything that comes our {her} way.

Yesterday morning we talked about the fact that our little dragon is not actually "shy" but "reserved" rather, and we laughed about how far that apple fell from the tree. I learned about a few of Madi's new friends, and it went something like this: "In this class, I helped my friend (insert name), and in this class, I helped my friend (insert name) with this assignment. And, in band, I helped (insert name) with her homework. Lord, I love that Madi feels such value in serving and feels friendship with her peers through sharing her gifts and talents. That just warms my heart completely.

Actually, most things she does warm my heart completely. I am in awe of this girl...

No comments: