Monday, November 17, 2008

Madi's Special Ring


Madi began quizzing Grandma Murphy about her rings when she was a little over two years. She was always fascinated with her claddagh ring--but especially with her diamond engagement and wedding rings. Grandma explained to Madi that Grandpa gave her those rings "because he loves me". Madi replied with, "Grandpa loves me too!?!" like why aren't I wearing a ring??? One weekend, Grandma and Grandpa went shopping for a very special ring for Madi. They walked in the front door and announced that Grandpa had a surprise for her. Grandma pointed to her rings and asked if Madi remembered why Grandpa gave them to her. Of course, she remembered the words, "because he loves you". With that, Grandpa said, "Well Madi O., I love you too and gave her the box. Madi was so overjoyed--I believe she knew exactly what was about to happen. She opened the ring box and felt like a true princess.

Madi only wears this ring when supervised, for obvious reasons. I am a little overprotective because I distinctly remember my parents giving me my first gemstone ring in my youth, and I wore it for all of half an hour. I went out to play in the neighborhood and lost it in someone's lawn. My ring was never to be found again.

One day in October, I opened up Madi's ring box, and the ring was missing. I questioned Madi about it's whereabouts and we "traced our steps" to find it...but no such luck. I was just sick about it. I thought for sure I had vacuumed the ring up and thrown it away. I thought it was gone forever. A few weeks later, something kept telling me to organize Madi's crayons and such. Low and behold I opened one of the containers and Madi's little ring was sitting inside. What a lucky day! The ring is back in the ring box and Madi knows it is now with her other special jewelry--"up high"!

No comments: