Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Mother for Chocco

Tonight I was reading this book to Madi. It's an adoption book about a little bird named Chocco who can't find his Mommy. He looks and looks until he finally finds this bear who wants to be his Mommy.

I have read this book to her probably ten times, but tonight's reading was different. When I opened the book, she buried her head in my shoulder and was very sad that Chocco didn't have a Mommy. She ended up sobbing. I reassured her that Chocco does have a Mommy--the bear--and that the book has a very happy ending with a happy family. I explained that the bear adopted Chocco the same way we adopted her. Madi agreed that we don't look the same, just like Chocco and his new Mommy, but it's okay. Madi wasn't satisfied that the bear was really Chocco's Mommy.

Is it possible that deep down she already knows I'm not her biological Mom? It's scary to think about the parallels she could be drawing in her little mind. Can she handle the reality at such a young age?

Was she crying because our Mother-daughter relationship is so special that it hurt her to think about Chocco, or anyone, not having that? God, I hope so.

I think I'll tuck that book away for a while...

2 comments:

Carrie said...

You are so in tune with her. The fact that she is able to express such emotion over that book reveals how very wise beyond her years she is. The love and bond that she has from you and Jimmy is so remarkable!!

BIBA said...

She knows well the relationship she shares with you. She has from the beginning, and will predictably handle it with much éclat.