Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Confirmation


On Saturday, we celebrated our nephew, Myles', rite of confirmation, which is about inviting and accepting the Holy Spirit into your lives.

I was honored to be chosen as Myles' sponsor for this beautiful and touching ceremony, especially since he chose "Daniel" for his saint name. I think I shed a tear every time I looked at his name tag!

I posted his dedication on the blog before, but wanted to post it again since Saturday was so meaningful for our family. This was written by Myles about choosing his saint name:

The name I have chosen for my confirmation is Daniel, in memory of my little cousin and God brother Daniel. In February, my aunt (who is my sponsor) and uncle adopted a two year old boy who they named Daniel. He had a heart condition and needed surgery to correct it. The surgery was a complete success but there were complications during his recovery. After being in the hospital for almost a month, he passed away. 

St. Daniel was known for his ability to interpret dreams. Daniel and his three friends were taken to Babylon. He was given the name Belteshazzar. Daniel was the first of the three presidents of the empire under the reign of Darius the Mede. His ministry began late in his life. His date and time of death were not recorded. His feast day is December 17th

I have chosen to take Daniel as my confirmation name, in memory of my cousin who I miss very much. This is one way I can think of to keep him in my heart.


After the ceremony, we celebrated over a delicious brunch at Mizner Park. In typical fashion, Charlie became a bit antsy after being restrained for a while. Murphy was kind enough to walk the kids outside to the fountain.

After about ten minutes, Madi came running in to say that Charlie fell in and got wet. Well, we never expected this!  He was drenched! He had lost his balance and fell in the fountain while reaching for a feather.

Thank God, Murphy was right on it, and plucked Charlie from the water. I was also thankful for having a spare diaper, though we did not have an extra set of clothes. We drove home with the heat on in the car!  And the kind restaurant staff gave Murphy a tee-shirt for being such a life-saver--literally!

No, Charlie. This was not your baptism. You already had that!



2 comments:

Biba said...

Congratulations, Myles. Daniel is very proud to share names with you through his Baptism and your Confirmation.

Barbara and Maurice

Nana and Papa said...

Somehow I missed this post. What a wonderful way for Myles to keep Daniel with him always. You can be sure, Daniel will sit on Myles' shoulder and protect and guide him. You have a wonderful family:~)
Barb
Nana to five