Monday, February 28, 2011

Conversations with Madi

"Is Charlie going to make it?"  she says to me out of nowhere on Saturday as I'm popping a DVD in for her.

She stopped me in my tracks.

"What do you mean by that, Madi? Are you asking me if Charlie's going to live?" I demanded, stunned at hearing those words come out of a five-year old mouth.

"Daniel didn't make it," she states both softly and seriously at the same time.

I sat down on the bed next to her, my eyes signaling for more information to pour out of her little soul.

"Charlie has a hole in his heart just like Daniel did," she continues with certainty.

"Oh, Madi," I sighed with reassurance and collected my thoughts. "Yes, Charlie is going to make it. Daniel had a much more serious heart condition than Charlie does. Although God gives us no guarantees, our agency was really careful to match us with the perfect little brother for you. One who will be with you for a long, long time."

Once an expression of understanding came over her face, I kissed that delicious milk-chocolate forehead and started her movie. 

I swear she's wise beyond her years...

2 comments:

Biba said...

Little ones have worries too. You handled that one just right, mama.

Carmen said...

She has done so well throughout a very rough time - you've got to be proud mama.