Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ode to the Hover Mother


I used to refer to myself as "The Hover Mother". I used to be on top of Madi's every move. In fact, I always wondered how other mothers managed to socialize at the park. It was a foreign concept to me.

Today, at a birthday party at the park, Madi ran over to me and said, "I climbed the rock wall all by myself!" I was so busy socializing that I missed it! I looked around for Daddy, but he had missed it too. Madi took us over to show us she could do it.

It is so clear to me now how the feeling of security grows as the familiarity and confidence in your child's abilities improves. Goodbye Hover Mother...at least for the moment;)

1 comment:

Judy said...

Hi Lisa, Great job on your blog! We've had Ms. Independence now for quite a while. Ours has a bit of an attitude when she declares "no, I do by myself". It's quite cute actually. So we've learn to let go a little and not get so uptight. I didn't realize it would start this soon. Geez!

Hugs,
Judy