Thursday, October 23, 2008

Grooming Madi




On Tuesday, Madi and I went to get haircuts. I can remember Madi's first haircut like it was yesterday (shown in first two photos). She had been home for a few months when I decided to start taking her with me. Madi was definitely suspicious, to say the least, about people she didn't know. I knew, early on, that my best shot at ever getting her haircut would be to gain her trust in Mommy's hair stylist. So, for about eight months, she went with me. She observed. She studied. And finally, one day, she told me that she wanted to get her hair cut too. I wasn't sure whether to believe her. If I truly thought she would go through with it, I would have invited half the family! Was she really ready? She sat very quietly and very intently watching Debbie work me over, trying to psych herself up for the big event. Knowing what a small window of opportunity we had, Debbie gave her a quick snip all over--the whole process took about five minutes, if that. It was a huge step for Madi, and she was rewarded with a certificate and a sucker.

A year later, she's a pro. She has had probably eight haircuts with Debbie. Now, she gets her hair washed at the sink. She sits by herself in the chair like a big girl, and she gets a blowdry. She still gets a sucker, of course--she's no dummy:)



3 comments:

Pauline Murphy said...

Madi sure looks like she enjoys her haircut day with you! She sure is growing into quite the young lady. Love, Grandma and Grandpa

Ana said...

Madi, you are a pro! Gigi has had two professional haircuts so far but she is still a bit reluctant. You look great! Ana and Gi

Judy said...

Great pics! Kylie enjoys getting a haircut, but there isn't much there to cut - lol!