Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Grasshopper

Saw something in the backyard today that we've never seen here before--a bright green grasshopper stuck to the back of our house. It was so unusual to me, that I told Madi that I would look up it's meaning.  Maybe it's just me, but I found some of these to be quite apropos:

A grasshopper's appearance indicates a time in which we will experience great leaps of happiness. It teaches us to trust our inner voice and to act upon it.

The grasshopper’s coloring is significant.  For instance, green grasshoppers indicate fresh starts (new beginnings), as well as the concepts of youth, rejuvenation, sentimentality, nature, adventure, growth and health.

Further, it’s a good luck charm as well as a symbol of fertility among Chinese symbolic language. Grasshoppers were thought to be fertility symbols, specifically, omens of the birth of a son. The grasshopper also symbolizes prosperity, wisdom and a leap of faith.

The grasshopper can be an enlightening messenger of ingenuity, resourcefulness, joy and honor.  In China, grasshoppers were kept as family pets. It was believed that grasshoppers embodied the personalities of deceased family members.

3 comments:

Ana said...

I think a grasshopper was in the movie, Mulan. 3Ds

Spring said...

What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to meet your new baby.

Nana and Papa said...

Hi Lisa. So glad to hear from you! I remember your sweet Madi.OMG, how wonderful! Please send me a picture of Charlie. And, of course, Madi with her new brother. I am so excited for all of you. Your Daniel and our Amanda are pals in Heaven. I will keep you in my prayers and follow your blog.
God bless,
Nana to five